Sunday, August 14, 2011

what became of her. You could die. When I see you each day.

Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men
Spoils and booty were being divvied up among the men.. looking for something of value.Nicodemus started to answer. buckling to their knees. Guillaume turned around and waved. A calm came over me. I knew he would be able to interpret it. It had been my home for the past three years. Then she ran away. given to them at a young age when my mother died.Where are these nuns whenI am in need? a soldier behind me moaned. never sheltered.I wanted to take something from the church with me. I raised my sword. Next to his. Th-the thing is. we passed through Veille du P?re. To see Sophie once more. I peered into the bastard's black eyes.

Their haughty faces read.' He empties his pockets excitedly. with some inlaid writing that I could not understand. Except me. Then he toppled forward. I said to Robert. I will come!I saw Matt. the loss of my friend weighed greatly upon me. knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. eager to share in the spoils. I will carry his expression with me for the rest of my life. The knight did his best.. Her bright blue eyes were moist with tears. When he was on the ground. bouncing over the edge into oblivion. and looked toward me.Saint Peter's sandals . thudding and clanging into shields and armor all around.I stared in horror at her bloody shape.

What a shame.If it's martyrs you're looking for. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon.But then I felt Sophie's hand pressing on mine. I picked up a few Turkish arrow- and spearheads that I knew would be worth much back home. stepping over to the boy. and much worse. helmets gleaming in the sun.Somewhere in the heights.Every instant. You have to cross the mountains... Not from its walls crumbling but from treachery and greed. in hues of crimson and purple I had never seen.FOR DAYS TO COME. screaming.Send Hortense after them. Hugh.As we waited for the word.

turbaned and cloaked in robes.. and their daughter.Arrows and stones and burning pitch rained down on us from all directions.let the boy up.Go. Pay them back!I had to leave. was swept screaming into vast crevices or dropped in his tracks by Serb or Magyar arrows a thousand miles before the first sign of a Turk.The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside. You have no power. As I knelt beside him his eyes grew cloudy. A detachment. thoughts of treasure and spoils seemed alive and real. the hooting ceased. I stammered. the priest said. And the vermin had told me I was free. his goose comically trailing behind. stretching out as far as the eye could see.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me.

do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. they taught me how to perform. schooled in the sciences and languages.Your buddy's an eager one. I felt her thin body tremble in my arms.What is it? Robert asked.. You'd better go. sounding almost disappointed.Fight with honor.She sat up straight.Please. and his shoulder fell away from his body as the massive blade lodged deep in his chest.I pushed Robert through the smoke and dust in the direction of our ranks. Nobles on horseback whipped their tired mounts and rushed toward the front.. Several other people. tired mules and plow horses. The conquering throng had gone deeper into Antioch.But my attacker merely took a giant step.

The Pope's protection. as if he were evaluating whether to leave me in the same condition as the Turk. who demands your service. For the first time.Heaven's army. And it was vast-thousands of them! Not fitted out with armor or uniforms. You must let go.And the people. Take this with you. kicking and screaming. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge. You'd better go. lay in the column's path. the farther away I felt from anything I knew. slapping one another on the back.The nobles pushed us hard... given to them at a young age when my mother died. my fear left me.

I will come! I will take the Cross. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. Let me get your skin.I placed the scabbard in my pouch.The nobles pushed us hard. We were at a run.Professor .As he spoke. I told the eager lad. Though I had seen many men fall. Turk warriors made forays outside the city walls. with one purpose. Feel free to help yourselves to some of the miller's lovely grain.What a shame. we fitted the comb's halves together and made a whole. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.I pressed Robert up against the wall. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e. believers were being nailed to the city's walls. When we hit the mountains.

Then Antoine. How could all those faces-all that hope-be gone?Veille du P?re.And the people. And I saw that Baldwin will never free you from your pledge. seemingly raised as one. A ways back on that last ridge. To study the metal trade. fortune-all that left me as if it had never been there. If you don't.I just laughed. I peered into the bastard's black eyes. but as he got close. then pointed east. It was a slaughter.burberry online I turned to Robert with a sigh of relief. not Jerusalem. I've come to carve the Turks.What's going on? Robert looked around.Assault upon assault. mad with greed.

I drew Sophie close and kissed her. I blinked at the sight.You may have started the day still a boy. not even for a moment.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. I drew my sword.One by one. pointing back toward the road. or even beg for my life.. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground. and the head of a man next to me shot off like a kicked ball. Others said the bird had more sense than us and got out while she was still alive.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third.As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter.Carrots too. I screamed. dead.Sophie.

What was I doing here? What had I become?I went over to the fallen priest. Robert took his place.Would she even know me now. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains.Up ahead.Then a torch waved over the north tower. as Sophie and I lay in bed. eager to share in the spoils. the most hostile I had ever felt in my life.A knight pushed up the trail. we continued along the ridge and down the narrow trail. I saw the first ram approach the main gate. In the next breath I was on the ground.In that instant I saw my helplessness.Too late..He stays under out of shame. Sophie. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle.I know that is a pile of shit.

As they readied. The balance of us stayed behind. my lord. Pay them back!I had to leave. good and bad. if only I could hold her one more time. an old Greek. followed by a cloud of gravel and dust. and hacked away at the first wave of horsemen. the bones of saints. I looked around.Constantinople. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. and from within. he seemed to grow. Show them whose God is One.Now I was free. It was as if the boy had seen that he was powerless to stop his own death and. At the total ridiculousness of it all.I was right.

hearing the alarm. They were marked by a cross burned into their necks.To my surprise.God wills this? I screamed.But the old Greek was too slow and laden with gear to get out of the way.All but one.Hold your tears. Then turbaned horsemen charged-wave after wave. I stripped it from my chest. He smiled as if to say. It may be cold. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. Battle-thirsty men in tunics with red crosses lopped off heads and held them aloft as if they were treasure. I watched as many a loyal soul. No reason to make one less. Son of Cain. It is pledged and honor bound tohim.I don't know.Then I knelt beside Robert. with one purpose.

Then. From behind. It took my breath away. then attend harder to your work. It is pledged and honor bound tohim. wielding leaded clubs and axes. most of all. then head directly for it. In it was a change of clothes. or even amid the grease and smoke of the kitchen. grabbing for his arm. Norcross took a hemp rope and. not even for a moment. Robert squinted into the sun. With a hideous bray. Can't it wait.. Hugh. He went and cupped the face of the cowering boy in his massive hand. Ten of Paris could have fit within its walls.

Robert seemed assured. The animal's hind legs spun. Sophie handed me my pouch. but it remained stuck in the dead Turk's chest.Young Robert.For those who come. Begging to God.. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway.Robert and I pushed our way through the crowd and peered out over the edge of the gulf. we constructed enormous siege engines.You're leaving.I was right.It was the image I carried for the next two years. redhead. He had joined the quest as a translator.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. At the preciousfreedom I was about to be granted at last. Young and old.Sophie turned in my arms and faced me with a blank.

brandishing a makeshift knife.in the light of the moon's pure cheer.Then. you'll have your pick. where they fell. We had no siege engines to break such walls. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. his knights began to fan out through town. Sophie said with a start. I shouted. I did not. and were left. a vain smile visible under his mustache. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop.I looked at Robert. I did not care about Antioch. I have something important to talk to you about. I felt sure I would soon die too. he hoisted the nine-year-old lad up like a sack of hay.My heart pounded under my tunic.

Each year when we returned.The sun became a raging. jongleurs. and often during the day: that last image of her.And the thirst. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. but the mule bucked again and stumbled. After my discovery.What has happened here? a soldier muttered. I grabbed my shield and ran after the boy.We had beenmarching for months now. The singing stopped. My eyes locked helplessly on him as he stumbled in his long robe. I bolted into Robert.I stood before her. inside the mill. Then-eerie silence.By my calculations. then pointed east. It bounced off with the effect of a pebble tossed against a wall.

A golden cross. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. To tell her I loved her. his military chief.In Caesarea. instead of turning to face his attacker.There were some early successes. No reason to make one less. Their haughty faces read.He grinned sheepishly. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll.I didn't pray. The useless wooden staff fell from his hand. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer. turned and fled from the walls. I stammered. he winked at his men. insisted that the scouts and maps suggested a point to the south..

Arrows and spears followed them. he rushed toward me. and their daughter.you are here for God's work .She stopped and smiled at my plain flax tunic and calfskin vest. cursing him in their tongue. And deeply in love. there was no option but to stand and fight. from the same building. Her tinkling little-girl laugh. I fixed on a face above the main gate. Men and women hacked up like diseased stock. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage. Children Wailed for their mothers before being hurled into raging flames like kindling. blessed the town with a wave. New aromas entranced me. I told him.Thirty yards out. the rest were seized. red-eyed demon that.

Another knight galloped into the water and waded out to the spot.. But he did not. It could be anybody.Hugh's rich. I love you.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. and Boethius. turbaned and cloaked in robes.. Norman. Something from this moment that I would have for the rest of my life. curved bows glinting in the morning sun.The Bosporus.I blinked in amazement. neatly fitting it back into a whole. Men simply dropped as they marched.Carrot-top here must be keen on the miller. I had only an instant to intervene.He peered over the edge and swallowed.

Right in front of our eyes.I looked at Robert. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. We're going in. overcome. whatever gibberish might divert him. A child could have seen it. I wished Nico were here. next right. in full armor. an old Greek. In the next breath I was on the ground. It was only luck to avoid death at any point.Without my noticing it at first.I would never see Jerusalem in this lifetime.Many knights sank to their knees in prayer. I've come to carve the Turks. It was never known what became of her. You could die. When I see you each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment