Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tell me exactly what happened. Messina.

 really
 really.Ten cars were lined up side by side under the long shed. she said. and chewed.And what did he say asked the priest. I said. We were in the second army. You are better with her without me. said Manera. I said.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). Id be glad to kiss you if you dont mind. and mark a cross on both legs.

 the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken. bronzes looked like something. And we have gotten away from the war. I said and went back to the house and drank another bowl of coffee at the mess table. I learn how to do it. The other cars pulled up.The road was crowded and there were screens of corn stalk and straw matting on both sides and matting over the top so that it was like the entrance at a circus or a native village.It starts now. baby. Gordini said. Listen. she said.We kissed and she broke away suddenly.

 Gordini said. Everybody is proud of you. Signor Tenente. He has a rendezvous. Oh Jesus lovely Mary stop it. Tell me about Gorizia. It was very edifying. My orderly had finished pouring water and the bed felt cool and lovely and I was telling him where to scratch on the soles of my feet against the itching when one of the doctors brought in Rinaldi. I said. We read.Yes.How do you do I said. and then there were mountains far off beyond all these that you could hardly tell if you really saw.

 Maria.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni. The road was screened because it was in sight of the Austrians across the river. like bridge.It could not be worse. I knew that I was hit and leaned over and put my hand on my knee. lieutenant! he shouted.All right. Maybe he was too goodlooking to be a. I shouted to the driver.Have you done nursing longSince the end of fifteen. I wiped my hand on my shirt and another floating light came very slowly down and I looked at my leg and was very afraid. There is nothing worse than war.

I looked outside.There are no forks. I was there and reading of it in the paper. It was a big trench mortar shell.Yes there is.The Germans too. Rinaldi carried a holster stuffed with toilet paper. The mountain that was beyond the valley and the hillside where the chestnut forest grew was captured and there were victories beyond the plain on the plateau to the south and we crossed the river in August and lived in a house in Gorizia that had a fountain and many thick shady trees in a walled garden and a wistaria vine purple on the side of the house. I looked at the tires carefully. Tell me exactly what happened.Thats splendid. I went to the window and looked out. I handed it to Gordini.

 blunt-nosed ambulances. The dead were off to one side. I thought she was very beautiful. She wore what seemed to me to be a nurses uniform. I said. One of the two men who had carried it looked in. I started when he did. I thought it would be worse for him. Hold on to my neck.Thats what the priest said. Baby is puzzled.Theyll shell the   out of us.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car.

You did say you loved me. Fillipo Vincenza. I decided to go on upstairs.Sure. It was quite evident he had stolen the bonds. Gordini stood up and went outside with me. I only write about what a beautiful place we live in and how brave the Italians are. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side. to take a shower. I said. Kiss me goodby.Come on. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack.

You are ignorant. The major said he had heard a report that I could drink. He was walking with a limp.Ciaou! he said.Good evening. Goodnight. But marble busts all looked like a cemetery. No one to lend me money. It was not a pleasant trip to the dressing room and I did not know until later that beds could be made with men in them.Come. wont youWhat the hell. The lighter was shaped like a Fiat radiator. It was a hot night and there was a good deal going on up in the mountains.

No. the major said. Were you on permissionYes. It was a one road show. Otherwise it will be the bronze. He broke off. Every day I learn to do things smoother and better. When this road was finished the offensive would start. Then the stretcher bearers took the man off the table. Those postcards would be very fine in America; strange and mysterious.Youre an orator. I just tell you. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered.

 I like the simpler pleasures. I wished to God it was over though. how do you feel Where is that damn corkscrew You are so brave and quiet I forget you are suffering. Gordini could not drive. He drank a half tumbler of cognac. I said. Didnt you see itNo. Well. Whats the matter with this machineIts no good. he said. the dust rising from the wheels and going off through the trees.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps.Thats nothing.

 higher snow mountains.Theyll send you to a hospital. I will probably marry Miss Barkley. Goodnight.There is a class that controls a country that is stupid and does not realize anything and never can. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out.No.Ca va bienCa va.You drive. Stretcher bearers came in all the time. They told me you were on duty.No.Most of them dont.

Youre a good old boy. It might be good though. I had it in the car. even in the ambulance business. With your priest and your English girl. fast and shallow. Ireland of Michigan.Its not serious I hope. although I learned it later. The tall English driver came around and looked in. are youOh. drink that. I knew you was an American.

 Are you coming to nightNo. When this road was finished the offensive would start.Ill take the American Tenente. Miss Barkley said. The captain spoke pidgin Italian for my doubtful benefit. baby. I had it in the car. he himself so small that you could not see his face but only the top of his cap and his narrow back. Rinaldi poured another glass.We shook hands and he put his arm around my neck and kissed me. you have come back. At the gate of the driveway that led up to the British villa. I said.

I went everywhere.Slit the tunic. Then he was quiet.Goodnight. She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up. He had not felt bad but now the shoulder had stiffened. I took her hands.How you like this goddam warRotten. I took her hands. Sometimes all niceness gone and glad to get out on the street but always another day starting and then another night. I said in Italian. Tell me exactly what happened. Messina.

No comments:

Post a Comment