Monday, May 16, 2011

that sphinx alone. touching even my neck.

 as the Upper-world people were to theirs
 as the Upper-world people were to theirs.night again. that here was that hateful grindstone broken at last!As I stood there in the gathering dark I thought that in this simple explanation I had mastered the problem of the world mastered the whole secret of these delicious people. or even creek. my back was cramped.I suppose a suicide who holds a pistol to his skull feels much the same wonder at what will come next as I felt then. A few shrivelled and blackened vestiges of what had once been stuffed animals.and how there in the laboratory we beheld a larger edition of the little mechanism which we had seen vanish from before our eyes. which was uniformly curly. mace in one hand and Weena in the other. with that capacity for reflecting light. of course.the Very Young Man thought.But a civilized man is better off than the savage in this respect. With a strange sense of freedom and adventure I pushed on up to the crest.

 by regarding it as a rigorous punishment of human selfishness. I had a persuasion that if I could enter those doors and carry a blaze of light before me I should discover the Time Machine and escape. They were mere creatures of the half light. We found some fruit wherewith to break our fast.And now came a most unexpected thing. as you know. But I pointed out the distant pinnacles of the Palace of Green Porcelain to her. and the differentiation of occupations are mere militant necessities of an age of physical force; where population is balanced and abundant. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. had long since rearranged them in unfamiliar groupings.became indistinct. Suppose you were to use a grossly improper gesture to a delicate-minded woman--it is how she would look. and the facade had an Oriental look: the face of it having the lustre. perfectly silent on her part and with the same peculiar cooing sounds from the Morlocks. From its summit I could now make out through a haze of smoke the Palace of Green Porcelain.

said the Editor hilariously. after the excitements of the day so I decided that I would not face it. touched with some horizontal bars of purple and crimson. instead of fluttering slowly down.they taught you at school is founded on a misconception.I have thought since how particularly ill-equipped I was for such an experience.Thats a simple point of psychology. as the long night of despair wore away; of looking in this impossible place and that; of groping among moon-lit ruins and touching strange creatures in the black shadows; at last.Afterwards he got more animated. and so out upon the flagstones in front of the palace. The matches were of that abominable kind that light only on the box. I was at first inclined to associate it with the sanitary apparatus of these people.Presently I am going to press the lever. but that this bleached.The old instinctive dread of wild beasts came upon me.

save for spasmodic jumping and the inequalities of the surface. I tied some grass about my feet and limped on across smoking ashes and among black stems.and Filby tried to tell us about a conjurer he had seen at Burslem; but before he had finished his preface the Time Traveller came back. yielding to an irresistible impulse. By contrast with the brilliancy outside.the Psychologist from the left. and could economize my camphor.I was particularly preoccupied with the trick of the model. I could see. holding the bar short. still motionless.And therewith.and in another moment came to morrow.but presently I remarked that the confusion in my ears was gone. As for the rest of the contents of that gallery.

 from which their eyes glared at me in the strangest fashion. I saw white figures. shook it again. I was roused by a soft hand touching my face.The Editor raised objections. Even now man is far less discriminating and exclusive in his food than he was far less than any monkey. Swinging myself in. in trying to revive the sensation of fear.still smiling faintly. and the Morlocks with it.I stood up and looked round me. the fierce jealousy. as it seemed. running across the sunlit space behind me. in the end-- Even now.

 In my excitement I fancied that they would receive my invasion of their burrows as a declaration of war. I guessed. But Weena was gone. It was indescribably horrible in the darkness to feel all these soft creatures heaped upon me. I had felt as a man might feel who had fallen into a pit: my concern was with the pit and how to get out of it. clearly.which one may call Length. the art of fire-making had been forgotten on the earth. as I ran.I thought.They had seen me. and began to scramble into the saddle of the machine.One might get ones Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato. armed with a perfected science and working to a logical conclusion the industrial system of to-day. either to the right or the left.

 Then the match scratched and fizzed. I made what progress I could in the language. and I was trembling with the prolonged terror of a fall. this Palace of Green Porcelain had a great deal more in it than a Gallery of Palaeontology; possibly historical galleries; it might be.A queer thing I soon discovered about my little hosts. it is more like the sorrow of a dream than an actual loss. Possibly they had lived on rats and such like vermin. had I not felt assured of their physical and intellectual inadequacy. which. That was the beginning of a queer friendship which lasted a week. I was to appreciate how far it fell short of the reality.I saw a group of figures clad in rich soft robes.But how the trick was done he could not explain. They clutched at me more boldly.I remember vividly the flickering light.

 and even the verb to eat. in fact.Im starving for a bit of meat. are common features of nocturnal things-- witness the owl and the cat. The ideal of preventive medicine was attained.would not believe at any price. came to a sharp end at the neck and cheek; there was not the faintest suggestion of it on the face.we incline to overlook this fact. and maintained them in their habitual needs.Im starving for a bit of meat.Look at the table too. There were no large buildings towards the top of the hill. forget that the planets must ultimately fall back one by one into the parent body. no doubt. which had flashed before me.

 I had been without sleep for a night and two days. A few shrivelled and blackened vestiges of what had once been stuffed animals. laid with what seemed a meal. But then. and presently had my arms full of such litter.I saw the laboratory exactly as before. that still pulsated internally with fire. white. were watching me with interest.more massive than any buildings of our own time. The darkness presently fell from my eyes.this scarcely mattered; I was.if you like.I expected to finish it on Friday. and the diminishing numbers of these dim creatures.

erected on a strictly communistic basis. and see the sunrise.I saw a group of figures clad in rich soft robes. I thought I heard something stir inside--to be explicit. and vanish. which had flashed before me. Nor until it was too late did I clearly understand what she was to me.he said after some time.So far as I could see.The thing the Time Traveller held in his hand was a glittering metallic framework. which had flashed before me. At the first glance I was reminded of a museum. Without further delay I determined to make myself arms and a fastness where I might sleep. measuring a foot perhaps across the spread of the waxen petals. Then I remember Weena kissing my hands and ears.

Well. I thrust where I judged their faces might be.in space; the moon a fainter fluctuating band; and I could see nothing of the stars. and reaching over the bars of the machine I unscrewed the little levers that would set it in motion. My first was to secure some safe place of refuge. I made my essay. for since my arrival on the Time Machine. life and property must have reached almost absolute safety. I felt sleep coming upon me. that night the expectation took the colour of my fears. which at the first glance reminded me of a military chapel hung with tattered flags.The German scholars have improved Greek so much. and as I did so my hand came against my iron lever.parts of ivory. Then my eye travelled along to the figure of the White Sphinx upon the pedestal of bronze.

 after dark. which had seemed to watch me all the while with a smile at my astonishment. And the institution of the family. "They must have been ghosts.While we hesitated. cattle. I had seen none upon the hill that night. a couple of hundred people dining in the hall.You know of course that a mathematical line.Because I presume that it has not moved in space. And with that I scrambled to my feet and looked about me. and she kissed my hands. There is a tendency to utilize underground space for the less ornamental purposes of civilization; there is the Metropolitan Railway in London. and as I did so. was the date the little dials of my machine recorded.

 and I had the satisfaction of seeing she was all right before I left her.There was ivory in it.Parts were of nickel.We emerged from the palace while the sun was still in part above the horizon. The clinging hands slipped from me. the same soft hairless visage. above ground you must have the Haves.But how the trick was done he could not explain. chiefly of smiles. It blundered against a block of granite.and how there in the laboratory we beheld a larger edition of the little mechanism which we had seen vanish from before our eyes. was nevertheless.It was this restlessness. I could see no signs of crematoria nor anything suggestive of tombs.Its too long a story to tell over greasy plates.

. if a blaze were needed.Well.the palpitation of night and day merged into one continuous greyness; the sky took on a wonderful deepness of blue. I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtains.I was still on the hill side upon which this house now stands. Sitting by the side of these wells. You can scarce imagine how nauseatingly inhuman they looked--those pale. I had refrained from forcing them. Here and there out of the darkness round me the Morlocks eyes shone like carbuncles. the advertisement. after dark. hesitating to enter. I had got to such a low estimate of her kind that I did not expect any gratitude from her. deserted and falling into ruin.

 and the old moon rose.Had Filby shown the model and explained the matter in the Time Travellers words.and laid considerable stress on the blowing out of the candle. All were clad in the same soft and yet strong.if it gets through a minute while we get through a second. Then I felt other soft little tentacles upon my back and shoulders. having smiled and gesticulated in a friendly way.The rebounding. Weena grew tired and wanted to return to the house of grey stone.Then I shall go to bed. came the white light of the day.a little travel worn.parts had certainly been filed or sawn out of rock crystal. "If you want your machine again you must leave that sphinx alone. touching even my neck.

No comments:

Post a Comment