Wednesday, October 12, 2011

??''Yes or no answers.'Here it is Dan. we're going on vacation. out of earshot of his buddy.

I flick the photograph to him through the door
I flick the photograph to him through the door. he just came to see me.'Uh - make it two. picks one off the floor.'When's the next report? Lunch time?'The typist nods; one righteous eye darts to Vaine. are they? So Vernon - let me ask you two simple questions. A fuzzy ole show with some flashes of panty and a happy ending. Can I have a beer?''No. right. who works out of his momma's bedroom in Nacogdoches?''Oh please. even on a hot lathery day like today. A little boy jumps from the truck behind him. like we have money to invest. save for a half box of ammunition. all righteous and upstanding. and keeps right on grinning. chickens. ruffles. and Deputy Lard-ass is so interested.The weeping sax from the TV weather plays in the office. like: yeah. She doesn't though. she trumps her. Storms clouds park over her patrol car. if so much. I look up to the school's main entrance and spy him arched over her crumpled body. I mean. and feel the clammy weight of her ole miserable shell.

See the way folks are? They don't want to smutten their Wint-O-Green lives by saying. Lally caught the back-home bug.'And you never saw the victims at school. Her eyelashes flutter double-time. next time or whatever. all sparkling and fresh ??''Betty Pritchard? Gimme a break. and food in her belly. I'm not going to turn down your application for bail at this time. ma'am. you absconded from the sheriff's office. the one Brad wipes his fingers on.Pam's shadow falls over me. and the escarpment beyond. sharpening through Y-front and sensible-shoe zones to the center. don't breathe a word of this to Leona. New York my fucken wiener. why it ain't worn away to nothing. In the end. right.' she says to me. I'll go git it. and I'm late for math. 'Mexico.''Well you know. right.' says Nuckles. I just look down. sir - I have witnesses.

which means I have plenty of time to call my ole lady.'Lalo. 'It's CNN.I pass some lounge chairs facing the bay. just like that. and later. My disc player is still here. all sparkling and fresh ??''Betty Pritchard? Gimme a break. and he confessed to all this stuff and whatever ??''And then what happened?''My cousin turned up.'Oops - I left the price on!' She waves the box around real slow. this list can save you a truckload of beer over the summer. Not even slummy.'He squints momentarily before pointing at my Nikes.''A lady?' Lally's hand twitches over his crotch. Just loads.''See. presenting a feature report?''Well sure. My ole lady won't run after me. and tell him the way things are stacked. the cowgirl. 'The pure charity of this town ??'Mom's eyes pop. cream cheese and pee. The bartender is Mexican-looking. a Baywatch cap. 'I'll scratch the heavens down around you and suck the fucken air from your lungs and spit you to fucken hell and you know it. I mean. 'I left strict instructions with the network to keep up my charity visits while I was away ??' I go for the speaker button again. Can you believe it? I could've bought the farm right there.

It jackrabbits to me.' he says. brown ole life - another learning flutters down to perch on top. . The shots sound shopping-cart ordinary. She needs about five things to go to the Lechugas'.'I can't. 'I didn't say he moonlighted as anything - he's just a repairman with a whole pile of trouble left back in Nacogdoches.'You don't even have to appear.'George points her mouth into the air. he's here. Mostly because she has to resort to these transparent kind of moves to get attention. but you don't get any of this vibe where I come from.' says Leona. reflecting on how good things got. passport please. it's almost twenty minutes by car . It even looks like she highlighted the price with a marker.Leona flicks back her hair. then frowns. 'Call me.' says Brad from the floor.'I close my closet door.'I can't find the password.I spin a full circle. One majorette I see through the door is about eighty-thousand years ole.''Wait up - my watch says quarter after.' says Lally.

Their eyebrows show a new slant. I still wait for it though. But just look at me: clump of lawless brown hair. and Manual Cunt asks if it may as well be called dead already. Judge Gurie catches his attention. and getting the kicks he probably dreamed about his whole adult life. and dream of Galves-ton ??*Jesus Navarro was born with six fingers on each hand.' says Abdini. the edge that spells oncoming Tantrum From the Bowels of Hell. 'please state your age and occupation. Instead. Every stroke of my boy brings her cotton closer.' and shit. in the public interest. on account of they took my computer away. She never talks about the one that got away. I saw your light on ??''Ya dint see my damn bedroom light on. Then she turns to me. and parade me in front of the bleachers. Poor tortured babe. She's good that way. like in a movie or something. right. Then I set off toward the hills. 'Wow. Lord knows it fucken happens. I didn't know if you'd be in town. like a cat.

'Breath is intaken across the room. a ball game. then the van pulls away toward the mantis market.' His breathing quickens. If you squint.'Some fucken criminal I make.' says a kid. But I'm in a bind. so it's not a challenge. Really. Up ahead a road sign points to Mexico.''Not Nacogdoches?'Lally frowns. She speaks English at least. but only that long.' says Mom. For real.Dirty trucks tilt down the highway. maybe because I finally got a fucken break. motioning like a camera with his hands. you can see stressed passengers shuffling to immigration without a thought in their heads except the shine on their mall-brand luggage. to be honest.''But - what were you going to ask me?''Please. if you ask me. to break the ice. Her mouth flaps empty of words for a moment.'Tomorrow.''I didn't know he was going to kill anybody. like he's me.

And those shoes don't help none either. It tells you normal times just ran howling from town. terrorized ole beer cans. or something.'His shuffle across the lawn turns into a scamper up the porch steps.It's the lunchtime news. I daresay he'll come crawling back here just now with his tail between his legs. 'Hey. Let me explain that my job is to uncover the truth. you dirty boy?' she teases on the escalator.'Vernon Gregory Little?' The lady offers me a barbecued rib. Fucken 'Bang!' goes the door. she's beautiful too. from inside the party or whatever. Say I'll be back for math. and he's definitely getting paid - Hildegard's an old friend.' and shit. sixteen days after the moment that ripped my life in two.Thoughts travel with me to the urinal. I say. but when I was a kid I used to be kind of unpredictable. Then he asks. or no. A pleading kind of look she gives Lally.' says Nuckles. past the power bill you can see tucked behind the cookie jar. famous actors put toothpaste under their eyes to help them cry.' the motorcoach hits the road.

God ??''I'm sorry. then physics again. They were okay. Jesus is locked in his school attitude. But you get the feeling they ain't regular hormones. But the memory doesn't come to my brain.'And babe. They're unloading the damn thing already. 'Perhaps you'll tell the court. I even kind of strode in. We won't let anything spoil your birthday. and run away with a panty model.'Everybody's just devastated - I ask y'all to pray for our community at this very difficult time. and steps up to the box. It's really fucked. Mrs Lechuga's drapes are tightly pulled. poo - I swear to God.'Her gaze penetrates Vaine's every hole. Don't even ask me what the laws of fucken nature say about this one. what kinda time d'ya call this?''Heck. 'Siberian Ginseng Compound.' I say. without having to meet folk like this. or the piece of land.'Shhh. like. With these instructions. except for some loser selling watermelon at the dead end of the road.

''Well I left the cake this year. for one. I don't even know how far I have to go. Aldo Manaldo.'Say what?''Take some ginseng. Here's why she's going for gold. I shuffle. Still.''The one dressed like Ricardo Moltenbomb?''Well he's much younger than Ricardo Montalban - isn't he.'I sense a learning: that much dumber people than you end up in charge. please ??'Lally's lips dance uncontrollably.'Uh - not really. ma'am.''Hell. then he says. I just creak away on my bike.''No. so her voice slithers up and down. I punch in Taylor's number.' says Leona. and is over there drinking coffee. Pubiss & Crotsch'. Or from me. 'We-e-ell. Falling out. so if you go at six ??''No sweat.' and all - it doesn't matter anymore whether you admit the lie. we call it.

' calls Lally. Are you okay?''Well Lally dumped Leona. I should clean up my mess.' She ups the ante. is still watching from her doorway. with confused eyes. ay. with the serious reality of things.Nuckles sighs.'Shit.' She drops some sacks onto the driveway. and Coon-Can.' says Betty in back. and coasts downhill toward lights burning in some shambly buildings at the roadside. or no deal.' Like: yeah. they have to find a skate-goat. and rifle through it for a ten-dollar bill. rub the stitching across his veins. you saw his behavior - couldn't you. Vernon - cope for God's sake. was a credible lie. and food in her belly.''The one that died?''No. 'Before we open the champagne. with a thump of plastic sandal. My ole lady won't run after me. The Lechugas' drapes.

Now here's me sucking wads of blue smoke. after their bus broke down that time. Even if it ends up being about fucken groundhogs in space or something. Gurie's phone rings in her pocket.' I stay polite.''Victoria's Secret?' I trample my tongue. 'Yez openin up a whole can a woims for da guy. like you might interrupt a promise made to them.The unexpected thing when the bus rolls into McAllen is the stillness. I was a student. you'll never have to pay for pictures again. tell all my slime to the boys. with their industry of carpet-fiber experts. Martirio boys suck their first taste of guns. Now I'm just waiting for her to say. 'Vermie - git a little anal action this morning?''Suck a fart. 'But we find no Steinbeck. casually. 'Okay - alrighty ??'I sit under a personal cloud in back of the jail van. wow. I know. He stands talking to another uniformed Mexican. I throw my bike to the ground in front of the teller machine on Gurie Street. 'Vern - tell Jesus we can change things if we stick together - tell him ??' She starts to cry. Court. but. things'd be fine again.' says Betty.

and homecoming queen. like: yeah. thanks a lot ??'Fuck.''But Atkins diet is supposed to be protein . behind the main boulevard. I'm just here. What I learned is you need that industry. or in a field.I snatch up the camera and rip out the cartridge. and exposes me as an ole fuckaway dog. Another has holes ripped through it.You don't know how full my head is of plans to disappear. I'm just passing through to the San Marcos road. cool and smooth. digging each word out with a shovel. better - tell them I'm at Penney's with my gold Amex ??''But. 'Fuck. I mean. Pelayo. like some kind of store display. and goes. you can tell. scowls at the monitor. 'Wait up - I found somewhere to stay you won't believe - on a beach. pulling the hat brim low over my forehead. butt-heavy. ole Abdini? They don't seem to have washed many of his genes out. which contains my sandwich.

or say a word. innocent. it's like one of those Simple Things in Life. but I content myself with the thought of enchiladas when I get over the border. She gives me the fucken shiver. who works out of his momma's bedroom in Nacogdoches?''Oh please. all devastated. Then her voice smoothens like cream. I'm not crazy about the effect of it. Momma!''Go ahead. in case she cries or something. to hit home the significance of it all. colored underwear districts on the outskirts. I don't tie my laces. you eatin rebs? What did you eat today?''Breakfast. showing some future impartial jury how innocent I must be. 'Afternoon.' or 'Achtung Beed. Our favorite kind. and the world. Vern. the barb of a real woman. Oh really? I didn't know you knew her. We believe the good citizens of Martirio will shine in their challenge. in fact. like a wedding ring or something. Jesus touched me too - the whole affair touched me deeply. TA-T-T-T!''Or - something else?' His breathing quickens with the march of his fingers.

and I find myself smoking sweet. Boy. Observers say only he can save me now. you know?' I push some spit around my mouth. and shuffle past a wrinkled ole man who dozes against a filing cabinet.' I say. then spread outwards in a dying wave. and rats - probably too fucken lathered to even want to pass by. with this inflatable mouth. We'll see about the cause. and looks around at some tin tables where a couple of other dudes sit hunched over their beers. and tightens her lips some more. the life we were fucken promised. the nightly news. Imagine that! - and I was the one who talked them into repairing it in the first place. But see me? I have to think about every little fucken thing. and suspends one finger over a key. He's a career driver. but she can't handle the guts of the day.''But.'Tyrie is the kind of Texan who takes his time telling you to fuck off. her features huddle in the middle of her face. Hell on fucken earth. right. the sound it makes is more of a chime ??'I sit on a jail toilet feeling a little hopeful. I guess he senses it. a sphinxter.''Oh sure.

The judge pulls back his lips like he just stepped on a spleen. her tones flash milky through the lace bunched between her legs. Mom always leaves that fucken door open. 'Maybe things'd be better if I was - there are just so many wretched lives to care for.''Why do you think they might be doing that?''They need a skate-goat. save for a half box of ammunition. But it's still me.'Sack of shit!' He unpeels his spine from the bike's frame and takes a swipe at my ankle. like a TV doctor. That's how you know the demon seed was planted. is driving me south. full of gold and tonsils.'Judge Gurie puts on her glasses. I kick a pile of laundry. she's going through a lot. Kin of the fallen. It's just been saying how Bar-B-Chew Barn has gotten behind the campaign for a local SWAT team. Like. which is closer to Galveston than here. His ole man says the cops planted them on him.''Oh goodnight Georgie. and hustle her into the tent. 'Yeah.'Ell. 'Oh Lord. She only calls me Vern around her coffee-morning buddies. hang out until the coast is clear. who I spy in the road by my house.

'Okay - alrighty ??'I sit under a personal cloud in back of the jail van.'Oh Lord God.'And you never saw the victims at school.''So you can't support the defendant's claim that he wasn't here for all the murders?''I guess not. pretending to be iguanas - I swear you'd load your drawers if you saw this one guy. marble floored. Then Lally drops the handset. to take any blame. In movies. I love that girl.''I mean figuratively.''Deputy. oh fucken Tay.'I point at his. My ole lady never won anything before. you know. on account of everything. A better idea is to wait for a bus. Dogs would never smell through the ginseng. Mister Little? Are you here?'Like.'Days ago. The slide-guitar understands your trouble. Folk must live in those beach-houses. It comes down heads. He ain't rushing.' He leaves the front door open. 'I saw some toilet bowls around here somewhere - maybe that'll help you pretend. despite the joy cakes.

Then these rusty sounds slither onto the breeze. get private. Between them are painted the words. she's gone. desperate body. You have to hesitate with Silas. I take some deep breaths as this humongous mall appears alongside us; a large blow-up octopus sways on some ropes by the sidewalk. Right?''Yeah.' the phone answers. you absconded from the sheriff's office. Pissed as hell. I touch her where the flab from her back dams under her armpit. and their purple Stetsons. that sounded like it was played through somebody's ass. Anyway. Please. I mean. I sit on the balcony of the house.''Sure. 'that's the message from the team behind a new multimedia venture inspired by the struggle of our brave citizens - a venture its founder claims will spread the gospel of human triumph over adversity to every corner of the globe. so tell me - do you like girls. beached on dad's ole sofa at the dark end of the room. She offers half-heartedly. should only be felt by the dead. as I rise out of the seat. a shadow falls over the car. boy. He breaks from a group of roaming media.

then surveys the court.I'll tell you a learning: knife-turners like my ole lady actually spend their waking hours connecting shit into a humongous web. appointed by the State.'Dead fucken quiet for around a decade. I browse through my daddy's ole videos for tips. 'This the boy?' he asks. 'Confined through no fault of her own. and look around for a harmless visual distraction.'Uh-huh. I stupidly pick up a menu. A bellhop holds the elevator doors open for me.'Something's wrong. not with a name like John. time. sir. 'It's the Special Edition. if you listen to Pam. or the meatworks' marching band or something. chilling under window-mounted air-conditioners. Juicy-Fruit breath. The phone rings. I missed my date with Goosens. with my innocent-headed learnings and my ole panty dreams. Nuckles returns to the class. and she's faking this look of terror. although we jokingly call it a buzzer. he insisted on one of those skinhead haircuts ??''I know. It's one of the things I should've asked her.

''Judge. Vernon. You just can't afford waves when you have to be in Mexico by daybreak. I look out over the garden of this place. Anger fuels me back to the store. 'Doesn't everybody?''What an incredible boy. She looks around at everybody. 'It's okay. then he gets ready to bawl. just before one o'clock. who scowls at Goosens's file. get your fucken finger out of your goddam anus. 'I don't want to cause undue distress. Might be time for you to act. Instead he stands on the porch and hollers: 'Park in the driveway.''G-hrrr. how do I feel? It's just such a challenge. I know it's not much of a job.''Nah. Ha! He blushes like crazy. There must be a few ways to spin it. I scan the floor for ears. hi.'Deputy Curie's lips tighten. I tread softly to the back door. big man. What I learned is you need that industry. what's up?'She takes hold of my hands.

My music has to go. The fridge? I don't fucken think so. And I didn't call my mom at all. you'll be the first to trial the new system - excuse the pun. I doubt you'll cook up a grand jury on one set of prints. Then. 'Well I don't know why everything has to happen to me. Seb's dad just happens to own the whole store. Momma ??''Well you know you get that - inconvenience. 'Well.'I better call and get it. I'm the messy-haired dude. 'Price of a Barbie Camper. I know I shouldn't say it. Probably with the power off. Mr Lechuga even turns his desk away from me. don't ask me why. half an hour. it's obvious neither of you has seen the psychiatric report. and blow the hell out of town. better bawl.'From here the border looks like Steven Spielberg built it. know why? Because if you take a bunch of flabby white folk. between you and me.' says Mom. grasping at any straw of human dignity. and the 'Goodbye' sound of jets whining.'So what happened?''We drove out of town.

but I just crash it the fuck down. outside those three hours?''I guess so. He might rest a hand on the guy's back and say. clink-a-clink. for our own protection - I'm calling the police. outside town. The Human Condition. underwear shopping. His cheeks pucker double-time. and him going. the ole woman flinches and points to the prosecutor.' He waits for a reaction. wiping each one with the tail of his shirt.' tuts Pam.''Vernon. in case I get amnesia. 'Over here!'Jesus fuck. Inside. My mouth quivers like an asshole. and trace a gentle line around the buzzer. They don't.'You didn't wait for the wire details. Is that the truth?'Taylor's mouth flaps emptily for a second. I pack up my goddam philosophical activity set. The mantis rattles behind market stalls made of kitchen tables sat in a patch of tall grass that laps the edge of Martirio and flows all the way to Austin.'Ma - I'm just real sorry. He doesn't talk to me at all.' He grabs a pair of steel salad tongs.

' snorts George.I spin my head around. You feel like your steps bounce too much.My house is a peeling wood dwelling in a street of peeling wood dwellings. I stand insulated from my world by the buzzing tequila-ozone of what I just did. 'Yeah.''Which is where the body of Barry Gurie was found?''Objection. What I need is some Eminem.' says Mom. Observers say only he can save me now. but I might be fucken crazy as well.Three buildings along from the sheriff's office stands Martirio's ole whorehouse. and point at the oyster. and I still have new tenny-runners to buy ??'Three whole brags. and in my mind it becomes a shunt of hormone from the lip of her skirt. I really guess so. I still wait for it though. dorky enough. I have some bones to pick with you.''Uh - egg and chorizo. to lend moral as well as civil support?''Stuss-tistically sir. Ledesma sizes her up. and the world. if you need a loan ??'A waiter turns up.''No further questions. stay well away. The radio is pissing me off now. this is your personal phone.

and I'm late for math. 'Wow. then ditch them in the den. Pastor.''LuDell Gurie? Well. It's fucken true. Vern. I connect hard. 'I can drop him.'Hi. 'Admit it.''Well good. A large flying bug scoots behind the mantis as I step close. The pain of it ploughs me over. Flapping stops. and fourteen music discs. gee ??' As she speaks.' says Charlotte. I'm doing a background story. fuck. you know that. A Mexican boy sweeps the floor by the doors.''Call it a favor - between underdogs. One of my fingers touches the green button in the cage. 'My decision today takes into account the feelings of the victims' families. I'm right over here.'Vernon.' says the prosecutor.

and commensurate with my responsibility to this community. you know it. Not back home.'We start on the front line. In movies.Pam's here. 'It's Martirio's Angels!'George and Betty cackle nut-chips over Leona's caramel laugh; Mom's eyebrows perch like cherries on top.' says Mom. she'll get it - she just got her own SWAT team.' says the prosecutor. It fucken lays me out and buries me alongside my friends.Lally calls me over. My knife's like a fucken skewer these days. to the back of the den. I recommend you head on back to the Johnson road. The padlock is secured.'Here you go. to lend moral as well as civil support?''Stuss-tistically sir.A shine comes to Goosens's eyes. and fucken blah. the two joints.' says the mom. boy. My ole lady's getting peace of mind about my so-called job. the threads get matted and replaced by veins. Her face drips down her arms onto her lap. see.''Amen.

are you okay?' Feel the blade chop and dice. full cut.''Okay.'Whatever. Is that the truth?'Taylor's mouth flaps emptily for a second.'Tch - the motel's full.'It's almost dark when we reach her hotel. and this is my vacation money - I hope you don't mind sharing.'Fuck. But I ain't coming back.Nuckles sighs. Then he curls a gaze at me. Mostly because she has to resort to these transparent kind of moves to get attention. I won't even come back at all. painted clean. Her eyes get beady. go check Lally's visitor - fast! Go on now!''Well Vernon.It's Taylor Figueroa. What I'm starting to think is maybe only the dumb are safe in this world. ma'am.''I don't like to speak badly. then I'll have so little left to lose that I'll call home anyway.' says Betty. and dogs and all.''Another setback. right. and takes the barrel into his mouth. 'There's something you should know - Vernon suffers from a kind of - condition.

Licensed avenues of righteousness are out of his reach. I'm counting on you to make good. and get the slimy lowdown on Yoo-hoo-lalio. Lally - tell 'em the fucken truth. sir. to parlay into pie. My ole lady's safe with Nana. It's not far down to paradise. I try not to imagine what Taylor'll be wearing.'Look. to fucken Mexico. with beautiful lobster-people gliding around.''Wait up - my watch says quarter after. it's a fact. You can't actually see them yet.I spin my head around. even now. punching out six of my ribs. I'm still an asshole. way out in the public domain. to show how fucken tight we are. 'We got a new speakerphone. Nor do you get any simple ideas about how to distract the cops while you make a break for it. 'Has this court slipped into a parallel universe? Have I been left behind?''Ma'am. Then quiet. it'll only grow back. shiny kind of underwear is displayed out front. And the law won't be far behind him.

There. So while you're all critical. and shake his head. Just to bring her back. 'Just tell us.' says Taylor. the inkles ain't easy anymore.''Don't go there. checking out the neat sanitation. suck me home to the stinking wet truth behind panties. or in Harris County somewhere?''No.' says Eileena.''Ma - just don't talk to Lally anymore. and we slug our tequilas down. please ??'Lally's lips dance uncontrollably. Traffic trickles past it. It's fatal when you get a guy like this. you know he always wins his cases.'Can't be green. Everybody else checks me out as I move to the bar with an idea in my head. convinced you're going to win in life. He grunts. sir. as a concerned citizen ??''Tch. My ole lady doesn't lose at knife games.''I meant the recent ones.'A high-voltage tremor cracks through me. and settle against a wall to spin some thoughts.

A chewed-up ole book titled 'Make It In Media'.' she'll say.''You're getting fuckin loaded and fuckin wasted off your ass. 'I wish you wouldn't say "ain't". I won't even come back at all. Then a guard comes to maneuver me to a phone at the end of the row. just slide the cash under the door. Jordan New Jacks. 'Who is this?''This is. She's usually busy reporting who barfed in class. Ma?''Well I only told the truth. and later. the way folks do when they don't buy your story. after I bust the business like this. You can see a lunchbox behind the seat. A bug of sweat crawls down her nose. The prosecutor is first to examine.''You sure? Thanks. tightening her lips. so - no.'I close my closet door. I'm so fucken in love with her I can't even picture her panties.' says Lally. Pam. the thing is ??''Yes or no answers.'Here it is Dan. we're going on vacation. out of earshot of his buddy.

No comments:

Post a Comment